Saturday, January 3, 2015

Fractal World Mapped to Hexes

Mapping to Hexes

In day two of my dynamic campaign world generator development I built a rough translation of the elevation maps from yesterday into a hex grid.  I did a very basic mapping of elevation values to three "terrains", green for plains, yellow for hills, brown for mountains.  This mapping is purely temporary.  As the project advances I plan to build a climate and biome generator which will ultimately produce more varied and interesting terrain.

Different Worlds

The fractal world generator can produce worlds in a variety of styles.  For the two examples below, I decided to crank up the generator to 768x200 pixels.  Since each pixel of the fractal world will map to a hex, this gives us a campaign world of 153,600 hexes.  I plan to use a scale of 5 miles per hex myself, so this will give me a campaign map of 3,840 x 1,000 miles.  Of course, the size parameters will be adjustable in the final product.

The first example shows a world with three distinct continents, separated by oceans, with a few smaller land masses.









In contrast, this world is more amorphous, with numerous chains of islands connecting the larger continents.









Let's take a look at the amorphous world with the basic hex mapping applied.  Quite a bit of terrain there to populate and explore!  The next step will be working on the climate and biome generator to start producing some forests, swamps, deserts, and more.


No comments:

Post a Comment